Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and
since then we have grown to 41 stores in four counties: Los
Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Riverside. We offer our customers a
full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery,
tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of
domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a
Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people
to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for
enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us.
We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and
fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a
sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you
are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and
want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer
opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family
member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and
flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit
JOB SUMMARY: To maintain stocking and rotation of merchandise in
the grocery area and to perform other functions as required; to
receive, in an efficient manner within company policy, and to
ensure the position contributes to the total best interests of the
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and
verify grocery receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor
invoices are all delivered; check products for quality, count, and
- Open cartons and price items accurately; keep grocery manager
informed of pricing problem areas or discrepancies; ensure that all
items are in proper place and proper price label/tag is under the
- Handle damaged and spoiled products and assist in controlling
the level of damaged goods.
- Keep refrigerated coolers, store shelves and other displays
fully stocked and faced at all times according to tag allocation or
department standards; assist in building store displays for maximum
sales and turnover; display merchandise in a neat and colorful
- Keep perishable merchandise rotated in accordance with store
policy and product code dates and pull all outofcode
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in
compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations
on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order including all
safeguards and safety devices or mechanisms; immediately advise
department manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Assist in training personnel when assigned.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous
service or assistance.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of
customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any
- Notify store manager of personnel situations or policy
violations affecting store operating performance or of situations
requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such
- Assist customers in retrieving items from inaccessible areas or
in obtaining products that are either located in warehouses or that
they may have difficulty in handling.
- Respond promptly to emergencies and potential safety hazards
such as spills/ broken glass or plastic containers that contain
liquid products; never leave the scene until help arrives.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred.
- If forklift operator must have fork lift certification.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order
to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal
requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer
telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the
Spoken language, English and Spanish, with sufficient proficiency
in order to read and understand company handbooks, policies and
procedures and other written jobrelated documents.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being
"drugfree" under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the
DrugFree Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some
requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle,
finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 55 pounds
carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift
moderate amounts of weight.
- The employee must be able to climb a ladder to retrieve
inaccessible items for customers located above freezer cases,
stockrooms and other storage areas; must be able to sweep and mop
floors, dust and face shelves, and lift and carry out trash
containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- The employee must have sufficient physical mobility or agility
to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as
cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of
containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security
assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- The employee must be able to stock coolers and shelves and
endure working under temperature extremes (as low as 20 F) in
refrigerated storage areas up to 20 minutes at a time.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions,
experience, educational factors, and the requirements and
conditions listed in this job description are representative only
and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to
perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and to require employees to perform other
tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work - In compliance with federal law, all persons
hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work
in the United States and to complete the required employment
eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the
requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban
the Box Law).